EuroFIA Dance Passport

Are you a dancer or a choreographer? Are you about to spend some time in another EU member State on a temporary work assignment or simply looking out for job opportunities? Are you a member of one of FIA’s affiliated unions in the European Union? If yes, then this information is for you!

Participating countries are Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the U.K. Contact details of each union are available on the FIA Members page

Who is it for?

It is currently limited to dancers and choreographers, as these are most likely to travel abroad than other performers and are often confronted with very specific needs, like daily access to training, medical and insurance information, advice on contracts and other legal matters, information about rehearsals, theatre discounts, etc.

How does it work in practice?

It’s pretty simple: once the EuroFIA Dance Passport is delivered to you by your union and activated, it is valid for one year. All you need to do is keep it with you and show it to the union in your country of destination to access the services they have on offer. See? Not a very complicated matter…

What can I get from the EuroFIA Dance Passport?

What you get is free assistance on a number of issues, ranging from information about auditions, access to training facilities, discounts, legal advice and more. The actual range of services on offer depends on the level of commitment of each participating union. Remember that these services are free of charge for you, but they almost invariably have a cost for the union in your country of destination. This is why, to keep some fairness in the scheme, we expect you to be a fully paid-up member of one of our unions, back in your country of origin.

How long can I use the EuroFIA Dance Passport for?

The Passport is a gateway to some of the services that the union in your country of destination usually reserves to its paid-up members. It is ultimately up to that union to decide how long you can benefit from the Passport and access its services.

Although the Passport is valid for one year, you may be expected to join the union in your country of destination if you are planning to stay that long in the same country. Remember that by joining the local union you will have access to the full range of services they have on offer, so becoming a member will ultimately also be in your best interest, in case of a reasonably long stay.

Where can it be used?

The EuroFIA Dance Passport can currently be used in the EU, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland – where FIA has an affiliate that has agreed to join this scheme. This website has updated information with a list of all participating unions, together with all necessary contact details.

How can I get my EuroFIA Dance Passport?

The first thing you need to do is join one of the unions that is contributing to this scheme in your country of residency or - if you are already a member - be sure to be in benefit before you travel abroad. You then simply have to make a short visit to your union – it might be a nice opportunity to know more about their work for you! – and ask for your EuroFIA Dance Passport: all contact details are on this website, for your convenience.

What is EuroFIA?

EuroFIA is one of the regional groups of the International Federation of Actors (FIA). It gathers performers’ unions in all EU member States, with the exception of Malta and Lithuania, as well as in Iceland, Norway and Switzerland. The group meets twice a year to discuss all EU policies that are relevant to the sector.